- Never leave your car running or the keys in the ignition when you are away from it, even for "just a minute".
- Always roll up the windows and lock the car, even if it is in front of your home or you are just running into the store for a minute.
- Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk or at least out of sight. Buy radios, tape and CD players that can be removed and locked in the trunk.
- Park in busy, well-lighted areas.
- Consider installing a security system. You may be able to get a discount on your auto insurance.
- Install a mechanical locking device (club, collar) that locks to the steering wheel, column, or brake to prevent the wheel from being turned more that a few degrees. Use it!
- Copy the VIN and your tag number on a card and keep it in a safe place. If your vehicle is stolen, the police need this information.
- If your car is stolen or burglarized, report it to the police immediately.
Crime Prevention Educational Program
In addition to the neighborhood watch programs, we can discuss various topics of interest in the crime prevention arena. Some of the topics we cover are personal safety at home, while driving, while shopping, while on vacation, or while at the ATM machine.
For More Information
For more information, please call 817.788.7342.